I’ve been asked by a few people to post pictures and give a parts list for my media center.
This is the device I plug into my TV so I can watch movies and TV shows on it. I just select the movie/TV show I want, and wha-la. It does a good job of automatically downloading cover art from the internet and giving brief plot summaries. Read the rest of this entry »
Our first launch of a sugar rocket on a stick. By all right, it should not have been launched without a parachute. However, we have perfect visibility for a mile circle, and launched at an angle to keep it away from us. Don’t do this. We’ll not do this again, ourselves.
Shortly after launch, we had our first PVC glue failure. The end cap blew off. I think the fuel had too fast of a burn rate (too hot). When this happened, it the motor ripped itself from the stick. Despite this, we got a max altitude of aprox 400 ft. I know the flight isn’t strictly parabolic, but it’s by best guess.
(16 ft/sec^2) * (0.5*10sec)^2 = 400′
Launch site is over water. Nearest house is about one mile away. Motor was found, after splashing through about 2′ of water, nose down, embed in packed sand about 2 inches about 600′ from the launch site. This was way too close for me, next time will increase the angle of launch tube. Will add those bath water dyes for children, to make it easier to spot.
Our first 2.2 oz motor. Also our first test with my homemade data acquisition system and at Otway. It is arduino based connected to a in-expensive load cell. Beats the heck out of reading the scale one frame at a time. See the test plan for a more detailed desc of the thrust measurement rig.
This is the test that prompted our forced re-location to our field in Otway. This re-location makes us use less than 2.2 oz of propellant per the ATF regs (have to transport it) for now on. Reminder, if you do this stuff, make sure you understand the laws. I wouldn’t image federal explosives charges would be any fun at all. Recommend talking to your field agent.
The kitty litter end cap failed. We half expected it to. The cheaper kitty litter didn’t feel right when I packed it. It shot a wad of propellant 50-75 ft into the air where it just floated around until it burnt off. Pretty actually. When the end cap failed, it caused the motor to get ejected from the stand. Pretty dangerous actually. Glad we were way the heck away from it.
Another Nozzle failure (aka, complete failure). Nozzle consisted of steel washer held in place via cement and PVC fittings. Steel washer moved 90 degrees and came out. Also bad batch of fuel. Neat light show though. Another smoke bomb.
Nozzle failure. No thrust. Nice smoke bomb though. By the way, I don’t light motors this way any more! I’ve since moved up to electrical ignition using nichrome wire, a straw LOOSELY filled with black powder.
Allison and myself went up the lighthouse on the 21st. A great trip. I took a series of pictures and stitched them together into panoramas. Most were stitched from 10-20 pictures. Used huggin to stitch them together. Great software. They are in link form (as thumbnails don’t give them justice). You will want to zoom in with your browser.
Time lapse video taken from Dayton, Ohio to Harkers Island, North Carolina. Less than 30 mins total about 12 hours drive time. The sun rises about four minutes into the video (if the night is unbearable, fast forward 4:00). You can see it set about 15 minutes later. A whole day of driving compressed into less than 20 minutes.
The route was out of Ohio, through West Virginia, Virginia, than through NC. A large portion of it was though the Appalachian Mountains. If you look carefully at the video you can see it starting to sleet, then snow for a period.